Yes, there is snow on the mountains in east San Diego County. We have a nice view of that from our house, but no snow at our house this year. It looks like it will be sunny, dry, and warmer with temperatures in the mid to high 60s for the next week, so it’s time to paint again.
The temperatures have been below freezing at night and barely warming up into the low 50s during the day, so the rain and cold have delayed my engine bay painting. We have received record rainfalls since November, about the time I started the engine swap. It is forecast to be dry and into the high 60s this week, so it is time to paint again.
I have some Rustoleum primer and satin black enamel to brush on the subframe and Rustoleum spray primer and custom mixed topcoat to match the exterior for the inner fender walls. Brake fluid surely takes its toll on the paint beneath the brake fluid reservoir and took a lot of effort to clean up the failed paint and rusty metal. I finished painting the asbestos head shields with high temperature engine enamel before it turned cold and they look superb. The pre-paint masking took a lot of time, masking tape, and old newspaper because of all the components in the engine bay that I did not want to remove or get paint on.
I used Simple Green, lots of different brushes and “elbow gease” for the cleanup. I did not use anything like oven cleaner or engine degreaser due to my concerns about fumes and unintended consequences of harsh chemicals on wiring, connectors, and electrical components.
The finished sections of the engine bay look amazing. I will post pictures when the engine bay cleanup is complete and ready for the cleaned up engine.