1969 Jag Series 2, 4.2l Rebuild Story

(Paul Wigton) #623

Cut the windshield out, first: that will help immensely with dashtop removal.

Just take a carpet knife, and slide it into the gap twixt the seal and the windshield face, slice it circumferentially, then expose the the glass edge.

Do NOT prise the glass out of the remaining rubber (if indeed the glass is still usable). Make a crate to store it.

Then dash top, instruments, then harness.

(Erica Moss) #624

It helps to remove those little chrome finishers on the sides, and pop off the pillar trim pieces. Careful you don’t twist off those tiny screws holding the chrome bits. The dash to is only held by 4 nuts, two on the corners by those chrome trim pieces, and two in the center. Be careful you don’t snap off the little studs attached to the dash shell. It can be easier to unscrew the two center L brackets. from the car first rather than trying to pull the down studs through them. At that point the only thing holding the dash is the defroster hoses. Best to reach up from the bottom and yank them out of the plastic housings so they don’t crack trying to yank the dash off.

Everything else is pretty self explanatory. Make a ton of photos of all the wiring so you can reassemble without releasing all the smoke.

(Paul Wigton) #625

I would caution against the term, “yank:” those plastic manifolds can become as brittle as an old eggshell.

“Lift gently” would be my term of choice…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Steve) #626

Disassembling upper steering assy, windscreen, dash, and wiring all day. Any preference on highest quality windscreen rubber replacements? Also, the side chromes for the outside of the windscreen were just glued in place with windscreen caulk. Is that normal or am I missing something?

(Paul Wigton) #627

Use ONLY SNG rubber: yep, that’s the standard method of attachment for the hockey sticks, plus capturing the cross trim pieces.

(Andrew Waugh) #628

Give the screen a really good clean and see if it’s worth keeping before storing. Then add some of that slip-on waterpipe insulation around the edge, then make a crate.

(Erica Moss) #629

Were there not pop rivets on the back side of the stick going into the back of the A pillar? The 3.8s have 3, two on the bottom and one on the top. Then there is some sticky stuff holding the front foot against the lower front chrome strip.

edit: wait forgot yours is a coupe. This may be an OTS thing

(Steve) #630

The hockey sticks were on top of the horizontal chrome. Is that wrong?

(Steve) #631

There are definite wiper marks that I’m not sure can be buffed out. Perhaps I replace it with a new and keep the original boxed to preserve some originality for the future.

(Andrew Waugh) #632

Try buffing them now. If I’m not mistaken, windscreens sometimes have a long lead time. This is a prime candidate for the “If a special offer comes up” list.

(Paul Wigton) #633

Nope: that is correct. I got it backwards.

Old age…:smiling_imp:

(Bill Bilotti 1966 S1 OTS (in boxes)) #634

Get a huge light source and a large megeapixel camera and take about 1,000 photos of each wiring connection both from 2 ft diameter and zoom in close. Is the first thing. and the continuing thing as each part is removed. Write down the order so you can reverse it

(Bill Bilotti 1966 S1 OTS (in boxes)) #635

I think I found one screw and a blob of windshield adhesive, IIRC

(Bill Bilotti 1966 S1 OTS (in boxes)) #636

Keep it so you can compare the new one to the old one, when you wonder why the new one won’t fit

(Andrew Waugh) #637

I stand corrected. Keep everything, at least until the replacement arrives and you’ve compared dimensions AND fitted the new part successfully.

(Then keep it a bit more… just in case.)

(Bill Bilotti 1966 S1 OTS (in boxes)) #638

Then giggle hysterically as you ceremoniously throw the old part away and open a beer.

(Erica Moss) #639

Believe it or not wiper circles can come out. It’ll take 60-90 minutes or so. What isn’t going to come out are rock pings. Mine had hundreds of itty bitty little pings, almost like it went through a sandstorm, and no amount of polishing would get them out. But the swirl where a wiper blade fell off in a flash storm and the rain was too heavy to shut it off polished out completely.

(69 FHC ) #640

Or list it on ebay with the words rare and patina in the description.

(Lester) #641

Regarding the pictures, don’t just take pictures. Follow a system from start to finish. Wether it’s a wire or brake line. From Brake MC all the way back to the wheel. every damn inch. Use lots of light. There are things that you will miss and sometimes they show up accidentally in another picture…

(Steve) #642

Wow, that would have been good idea from the start. Haven’t come up with a system other than to take a crap-load of photos. I’ll implement that from now on.

BTW, had a good conversation with Chuck at Monocoque… this morning. Sounds like a good source of information and knowledge.